The Department of Physics at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro has its origins in the Institute of Physics and Mathematics Costa Ribeiro, founded in 1957 by Pe. Francisco Xavier Roser, S.J. It was created to promote scientific research and to teach Physics to all university courses.The Graduate program began in 1965, with the Master of Science degree. The Doctor of Science degree started right after in 1967. The Graduate program objective is to train and educate students to become high qualified scientists. Since its inception the program graduated more than three hundred students.